Friday, June 19, 2009

Royal Family Kids Camp

This Sunday I will be leaving for what I know will be one of the hardest, most rewarding weeks of my life. I'll be working as the drama director and a rover (I'll explain that in a bit) at Royal Family Kids Camp. If you've never heard of Royal Family, you're missing out. Royal Family is an organization of camps for abused and neglected children in the foster care system. Every year over three and half million kids are abused and/or neglected, and Royal Family makes a difference in the lives a small number of those kids by creating a week of positive memories for these kids. The name refers to the fact that we are part of God's royal family, and as such we are all princes and princesses in God's family. That's definitely a change in treatment from what these children are used to! (and as I'm rereading that, it really sounds like some promotional ad or statement I took off the website...)
Like I said, I'm the drama director for the week, so I've been in charge of directing all the chapel skits. They're all really cute skits, and I have a great team of actors I'm working with. They just need to memorize their lines! Sigh, actors... :)
I'm also a rover, or a member of the support staff. Every counselor only has two kids, so they get so much more attention than at most camps we're used to. There's also a "two deep" rule, meaning that at all times, there must be two adults together with any children. Because of the background these kids come from, we really have to cover our bases. Each counselor has a buddy counselor, and then the rovers are available to step in and help out wherever it's needed, so that there are always two adults. We're also there to relieve the counselors so they get a periodic break.
I'm very excited about the week, but I also know it's going to be a very emotional week. I would love if you guys would join all of us in praying for the week - for strength and energy for the staff, and especially for the kids. You can also pray for me specifically, as I'll be on my fertility medication while we're up there. What fun! Thankfully the last couple times I've been on it I haven't really had a reaction, but especially because of the kids I'll be working with, I really need to be aware of my mood and how I'm acting. I've had a lot of practice keeping it under control when I feel it affecting me, since I was on it so many times while I was teaching and dealing with unruly high schoolers, so I should be okay, but I really would just prefer to not have a reaction to it at all so that I don't have to work to enjoy myself and be a pleasant person to be around. So pray specifically for: no mood swings, no headaches, no nausea, and no hot flashes. My meds sound like fun stuff, don't they!
I'll be back next Friday, and soon after that I'll let you guys know how the week went!

4 comments:

Christy said...

OK praying for you and for your health as well. Cant wait to hear how God blesses you over the week.

So many Ideas not enough Time said...

Will definantly be praying for the meds to just work WITH your body and not against it. And I'll be praying for a great annointing on the whole week for those kids and for all the staff. Love you girl

Erica Young said...

I swear we are alike in so many ways. I will be volunteering as a photographer for our local center called Care House that takes care of abused children. I hate to say this but I never volunteered before so I am so happy to be doing this. But back to you, will be praying for you and you will have an awesome week. Have a great time!

Rhonda said...

I'll be praying for you guys while you are gone. I just know that God is going to bless your socks off this week - even if it is HARD!!!
I can't wait for the stories that will come at the end of the week.